The First Son took to Twitter on Tuesday to share a photo of his daughter Chloe holding up her trick-or-treating haul with a caption saying he was going to take half of it away from her. “I’m going to take half of Chloe’s candy tonight & give it to some kid who sat at home,” he wrote. “It’s never to early to teach her about socialism.”
The tweet drew backlash from some online, with celebrities such as J.K. Rowling, John Legend and Zach Braff calling out Trump Jr. for both his grammar and message.
“Fill her bucket with old candy left by her great-grandfather, then explain that she has more because she’s smarter than all the other kids,” Rowling wrote in response.
“She was given candy for free. You inherited all your money. You met with Russian spies. It’s ‘too,'” Braff added.
See some of the reactions below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org