Tennessee Republican Sen. Bob Corker unleashed a scathing attack on President Donald Trump in an interview with CNN on Tuesday morning, accusing him of “debasing” the country and refusing to say whether he trusted him with the nuclear codes.
Along with a string of acidic tweets from Trump, the back-and-forth amounted to an escalation of the most bitter feud in Republican politics right now. Corker said Trump has “great difficulty with the truth” but stopped short of calling him a liar, adding “we grew up in our family not using the ‘L’ word.”
Corker also said Trump is not a good role model for American children, and that many foreign leaders were “very aware” that much of what he says is untrue.
“People like liddle’ Bob Corker have set the U.S. way back,” Trump said on Twitter in response. “Now we move forward!”
Read the full transcript of the interview with CNN’s Manu Raju, below:
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List