Tropical Storm Nate is the latest powerful storm system to show up in the Atlantic in the midst of a devastating hurricane season. This is the current forecasted path for Nate, which is expected to transform into a hurricane and make landfall on the Gulf Coast by the end of the weekend.
As of Thursday morning, Tropical Storm Nate, originally referred to as Tropical Depression 16, was still off the coast of Nicaragua. Spaghetti models, which map out various forecast tracks, predict Tropical Storm Nate will start moving northwest off the coasts of Honduras, Belize and Mexico.
Meteorologists currently tracking the storm say its path will turn toward Louisiana — with the potential for Nate to directly hit New Orleans on Sunday, according to the National Hurricane Service and spaghetti model predictions. Tropical Storm Nate is expected to upgrade to Hurricane Nate before it hits Louisiana, which could be cataclysmic for the area that is still recovering from extensive destruction from Hurricane Katrina. In 2005, Katrina slammed into New Orleans, leaving more than 1,800 people dead and causing more than $100 billion in damages.
It is still unclear how powerful Nate could get and what the storm’s exact path will be, according to the NHC. Tropical Storm Nate could potentially hit Texas, according to current spaghetti models, just weeks after Houston was devastated by Hurricane Harvey.
Tropical Storm Nate is expected to move up the East Coast early next week, according to current NHC predictions.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This