The color purple is so inextricably linked with the artist Prince that the musician is often referred to as “The Purple One” — and with good reason. He sported the color constantly, named an iconic album and movie Purple Rain, had instruments and performances completely saturated in the color and reportedly decorated an NBA player’s entire mansion (including the fountain water) in the plummy shade. In fact, Prince’s love of purple recently inspired a custom Pantone shade, named “Love Symbol #2,” in honor of the time when His Purpleness was known as the artist formerly known as Prince.
However, contrary to popular belief, his sister Tyka Nelson told The Evening Standard that her brother’s favorite color was not purple, but orange.
Nelson revealed Prince’s surprising preference while talking about a collection of his belongings from his estate at Paisley Park — which, it should be noted, is mostly decorated in shades of purple.
“The stand out piece [of his collection] for me is his orange Cloud guitar,” she said. “It is strange because people always associate the color purple with Prince, but his favorite color was actually orange.”
Prince’s fondness for orange isn’t so hard to fathom, despite his seeming preference for purple — he dressed in orange from time to time, including the shimmering orange pantsuit he wore to the 2015 Grammy Awards.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out