Reagan Readnour, 14, told The Island Packet she was on a boogie board with family members on Hilton Head June 18 when she felt something tugging at her leg. “I felt a terrible sting and didn’t know what it was,” she told the Island Packet. She said a shark bit her twice.
Although the Packet said local authorities did not initially report the incident when it happened, Hilton Head Hospital told the paper they had treated a patient with a shark bite on June 18.
Readnour, a field hockey player, is walking with a slight limp, according to the Packet, and her leg is still sore, but she says she is hoping for a full recovery by the fall.
“I feel lucky that I only had a few lacerations, and I mean, not a lot of people get to say they got bit by a shark,” she told the Packet.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Alana Abramson at Alana.Abramson@time.com