Several Republicans in Congress called out President Trump on Thursday for a series of tweets they described as “beneath the dignity of your office.”
At least seven Republican Senators — including Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham and Maine Sen. Susan Collins — spoke out after Trump targeted Morning Joe co-host Mika Brzezinski on Twitter. Trump called her “crazy” and criticized her appearance, saying he saw her “bleeding badly from a face-lift.” The tweet followed a trend of Trump singling out female reporters, often for their appearance.
“This is not okay,” Republican Kansas Rep. Lynn Jenkins said. “As a female in politics I am often criticized for my looks. We should be working to empower women.”
Other Republican leaders weighed in on social media throughout the day, as did Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan: “Obviously, I don’t see that as an appropriate comment.”
“I think what we’re trying to do around here is improve the tone and civility of the debate, and this obviously doesn’t help do that,” Ryan said at a press conference, when asked about Trump’s tweet.
Democratic Rep. Barbara Lee also called on more Republicans to condemn Trump’s remarks.
“I want my GOP colleagues to explain to my 3 granddaughters why they think these viciously sexist comments are acceptable from our President,” Lee said on Twitter. “This isn’t just about Trump. We already knew he has no respect for women. It’s also about the GOP – which continues to defend & support him. President Trump acts like his words don’t have consequences. Why? Because others in his party come to his defense every single time.”
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time