The difference between the paper bag and the accessory that costs around $1,100 might be the materials. The high-priced calfskin white tote comes branded with the word BALENCIAGA in the label’s signature font. (The shopper’s handles are also Nappa leather, and the hardware is silver, which probably doesn’t come cheap.) Bonus: the carrier features plenty of zippers and pockets within for slipping in all the money you have left after buying it.
Balenciaga sought to court a young audience, hiring the designer behind Vetements, Demna Gvasalia, to bring his tongue-in-cheek riffs on the humble to Balenciaga’s more traditional table.
Call it media bait if you want, but people either really love it or they really want to walk through life looking like they always just bought something at Balenciaga.
It was sold out as of Thursday morning.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now