Show creator Vince Gilligan is teaming up with Sony’s PlayStation division to make a non-game virtual reality project based on the cult show. While both Gilligan and Sony are remaining mum on many of the details about it, Sony did confirm that the project won’t be releasing this year.
Sony Global game development boss Shawn Layden told TIME that the project is part of a larger push for virtual reality with mainstream pop culture.
“We have Hollywood luminaries and TV show runners, places like the Smithsonian and [NASA’s] Jet Propulsion Laboratory looking into what the technology can do for them,” he said. “And recently you may have seen Vince Gilligan, the show runner for Breaking Bad, has leaked some information that we’re working together, which we are, in bringing a Breaking Bad experience to virtual reality.”
While Layden’s not sure what the end product will look like, he remains excited for the project.
“I have no idea, but Vince has shown that he can deliver.”
- Introducing the TIME100 Climate List
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time