The dictionary company, which has developed a reputation for political snark on social media, said it regretted checking Twitter and discovering what people were looking up in the dictionary after Trump’s apparent typo.
“Despite the constant negative press covfefe,” Trump wrote in a tweet shortly after midnight on Wednesday, leaving the internet hanging. Hours later, he deleted the tweet and challenged his followers to figure out its true meaning.
“Who can figure out the true meaning of “covfefe” ??? Enjoy!” he wrote.
But even Merriam-Webster might not be up to the task.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow