Your emoji keyboard may be full of runners and cyclists, nutritious foods, and every sports ball under the sun. But right now, it lacks a health-related icon that represents periods—even though the average woman will have 450 of them in her lifetime.
To address this oversight, Plan International Australia, a nonprofit organization that provides children with education, food, and healthcare, has launched a first-of-its-kind period emoji contest. Yes, you read the correctly: you can vote on your favorite menstruation-themed emoji.
RELATED: What’s a Normal Period? 8 Questions, Answered
There are five emoji options to pick from: a pad, an illustration of the uterus and ovaries, period underwear, a period-tracking calendar, and three animated blood droplets. After you pick the image that you feel best represents that time of the month (cast your vote on Plan International Australia’s Facebook page), the group will send the winner to the Unicode Consortium, the organization that decides which emojis make it onto your smart devices.
To get our best wellness advice delivered to you inbox, sign up for the Healthy Living newsletter
Voting closes June 2, so you have less than a week to select your favorite. Then, you’ll have to wait until the Unicode emoji submission deadline passes on July 1 to find out if periods are awarded the representation they deserve on our phone keyboards.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief