Good morning. These are today’s top stories:
U.K. says another terror attack may be ‘imminent’
British Prime Minister Theresa May said another terror attack on U.K. soil “may be imminent” as she raised the national threat level from severe to critical, which is the highest level. Authorities believe suspected suicide bomber Salman Abedi likely did not act alone when he killed 22 people and wounded 59 others at the end of an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester. Police have arrested three more people in connection with the worst attack in the U.K. since 2005.
Meanwhile, the identities of more victims have been revealed. That includes 15-year-old Olivia Campbell, whose mother had made an emotional appeal on TV for people to help bring her then-missing daughter home.
President Trump meets Pope Francis in the Vatican
President Donald Trump — in the middle of his first foreign trip as commander-in-chief — met Pope Francis in Vatican City, where the two leaders appeared to put their past criticisms of each other aside. The Pope last year questioned whether Trump was “Christian” over his foreign policies, and Trump called Francis “disgraceful” for saying that.
Tom Cruise confirms Top Gun 2 is coming soon
Actor Tom Cruise said Top Gun 2 — the sequel to the 1986 hit action film he starred in — is “definitely happening” and that filming will likely start next year, according to Australian TV program Sunrise. Rumors about the sequel have been swirling for years.
Taiwan has ruled in favor of same-sex marriage, setting a first for Asia.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has declared the country’s south under martial rule “on the grounds of existence of rebellion.”
Actor Roger Moore, who was known for playing James Bond, has died at age 89.
The World Health Organization has elected a new director-general from Ethiopia.
Uber said it underpaid its New York City drivers tens of millions of dollars.
The Morning Brief is published Mondays through Fridays. Email Morning Brief writer Melissa Chan at email@example.com.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This