As Colbert, one of late night’s most prominent political satirists, tackled Trump’s Saudi Arabia trip on Monday night’s episode of the Late Show, the host decided that the White House’s order restricting travel might be a good idea after all.
“I’ve got a little extra pep in my step tonight because Donald Trump has left the country. Federal judges, now would be a good time to reinstate that travel ban,” he began, before building his case for using the blocked executive action to bar Trump from re-entering America.
“He’ll be flying in from a dangerous part of the world. He’s said some radical stuff. Extreme vetting. That’s all I’m asking for. We don’t know where his money comes from. There’s so many unknowns.”
Colbert also joked about Trump’s face on the billboards that welcomed him to Saudi Arabia, the POTUS’s moves during a traditional dance and, of course, his viral moment touching an orb at the Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology.
Watch the full monologue below.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating