A Yale University dean has been placed on leave for writing Yelp reviews of restaurants and food stores that referred to customers as “low class folks” and included statements like, “If you are white trash, this is the perfect night out for you!”
Screenshots of controversial reviews written by June Chu, dean of the university’s Pierson College, had been circulating among students for months before Chu’s account was deleted, the Yale Daily News reports.
Now, Chu has been placed on leave for sending what Pierson Head Stephen Davis described as “reprehensible” posts. “No one, especially those in trusted positions of educating young people, should denigrate or stereotype others, and that extends to any form of discrimination based on class, race, religion, age, disability, gender identity, or sexual orientation,” he wrote in an email to students obtained by the Associated Press.
Chu also wrote to students, calling her remarks “wrong.”
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List