Putin, who was in Beijing for the One Belt, One Road conference, sat down at the baby grand piano while waiting to meet China’s President Xi Jinping at the state Diaoyutai residence. According to Associated Press, the 64-year-old played Evening Song by Vasily Solovyov-Sedoi and Moscow Windows by Tikhon Khrennikov, tunes that were respectively considered unofficial anthems for Leningrad (now known as St. Petersburg) and Moscow.
The seemingly casual performance was captured by a cameraman and was widely circulated on Russian media outlets. This is not the first time the Russian leader has flaunted his musical skills. Putin performed Fats Domino’s Blueberry Hills at a charity concert in 2010, which was attended by actors Sharon Stone, Kevin Costner and Gérard Depardieu.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving