The White House movie theater is now open to public tours for the first time.
According to a statement from the White House on Friday, the decision came from First Lady Melania Trump and will begin immediately. Now, visitors to the White House who take the self-guided tour of the East Wing will now be able to see the movie theater.
In 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt converted the East Terrace cloakroom into a movie theater; later, under the Reagan administration, there was a major remodeling that included 51 seats in tiered rows.
In addition to the White House’s statement, the First Lady also tweeted about the new addition to the public tours.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief