The White House provided no information beyond the fact that a phone call had taken place. “President Donald J. Trump spoke last night President Xi Jinping of China to follow up after President Xi’s visit to Mar-a-Lago,” it said in a statement. “It was a very productive call.”
A readout from the Chinese President, however, obtained and translated by CNN, not only detailed what the two discussed — topics included North Korea and Syria — but also mentioned steps to move the relationship forward.
“We held in-depth exchanges on China-US relations in a new era as well as major international and regional issues, and reached important consensus,” said Xi. “Mr. President and I have deepened our mutual understanding and established a good working relationship. Next, both sides should utilize the four high-level dialogue mechanisms, namely diplomatic and security, comprehensive economic, law enforcement and cyber security, as well as social and people-to-people dialogues.”
Here’s the full text of President Xi’s readout, as translated by CNN.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating