In an interview on Fox Business Network on Wednesday, Trump told Maria Bartiromo that the world leaders were eating the “most beautiful piece of chocolate cake that you’ve ever seen” when he notified President Xi Jinping that the airstrikes in Syria would start.
Trump added that President Xi was “enjoying it,” when Trump received the message from generals at this formal dinner he hosted at his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida. Trump told Xi he approved of the airstrikes because Syrian president Bashar al-Assad had used chemical weapons against his own people.
The intersection of politics and food — two online obsessions — led to a predictable swarm of reactions.
See some of the reactions below.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out