In an interview on Fox Business Network on Wednesday, Trump told Maria Bartiromo that the world leaders were eating the “most beautiful piece of chocolate cake that you’ve ever seen” when he notified President Xi Jinping that the airstrikes in Syria would start.
Trump added that President Xi was “enjoying it,” when Trump received the message from generals at this formal dinner he hosted at his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida. Trump told Xi he approved of the airstrikes because Syrian president Bashar al-Assad had used chemical weapons against his own people.
The intersection of politics and food — two online obsessions — led to a predictable swarm of reactions.
See some of the reactions below.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up