As the White House ordered strikes on Syria late Thursday, several of those old tweets were recirculating on Twitter, especially two in which he called for congressional approval before launching any military actions against the Middle Eastern country.
Following the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad’s use of chemical weapons on his own people, killing more than 80, Trump announced Thursday’s attack in an official statement.
His stance on U.S. Syria policy under then President Obama dates back to 2013 when Trump began repeatedly criticizing the potential for American involvement.
Below see Trump’s past positions that began to resurface as Trump hinted at military action on Thursday.
June 16, 2013
Aug. 28, 2013
Aug. 29, 2013
Sept. 5, 2013
Sept. 6, 2013
Sept. 7, 2013
Sept. 9, 2013
Sept. 11, 2013
Sept. 13, 2013
Sept. 12, 2014
Sept. 17, 2014
Sept. 20, 2014
This isn’t the first time that Trump’s past tweets have complicated things for the president. Here are 19 tweets that came back to haunt President Trump.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How a Government Shutdown Could Affect You
- Colleges Get Creative to Boost Mental Health
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time