As the White House ordered strikes on Syria late Thursday, several of those old tweets were recirculating on Twitter, especially two in which he called for congressional approval before launching any military actions against the Middle Eastern country.
Following the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad’s use of chemical weapons on his own people, killing more than 80, Trump announced Thursday’s attack in an official statement.
His stance on U.S. Syria policy under then President Obama dates back to 2013 when Trump began repeatedly criticizing the potential for American involvement.
Below see Trump’s past positions that began to resurface as Trump hinted at military action on Thursday.
June 16, 2013
Aug. 28, 2013
Aug. 29, 2013
Sept. 5, 2013
Sept. 6, 2013
Sept. 7, 2013
Sept. 9, 2013
Sept. 11, 2013
Sept. 13, 2013
Sept. 12, 2014
Sept. 17, 2014
Sept. 20, 2014
This isn’t the first time that Trump’s past tweets have complicated things for the president. Here are 19 tweets that came back to haunt President Trump.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out