J.K. Rowling may be one of the bestselling authors of all time, but before the release of the Harry Potter series, she was a struggling writer like so many others. Now, she has revealed the piece of advice she wishes she’d been given in those pre-wizarding world days.
Rowling took to Twitter Monday to share a tweet from fellow writer Y’assssssss Al Ghul encouraging others to persevere with their work. “HEY! YOU! You’re working on something and you’re thinking ‘Nobody’s gonna watch, read, listen.’ Finish it anyway,” it read.
“There were so many times in the early 90s when I needed somebody to say this to me,” Rowling wrote in response. “It’s great advice for many reasons.”
The author then offered up some tips of her own for creatives feeling discouraged by their progress (or lack thereof).
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time