J.K. Rowling may be one of the bestselling authors of all time, but before the release of the Harry Potter series, she was a struggling writer like so many others. Now, she has revealed the piece of advice she wishes she’d been given in those pre-wizarding world days.
Rowling took to Twitter Monday to share a tweet from fellow writer Y’assssssss Al Ghul encouraging others to persevere with their work. “HEY! YOU! You’re working on something and you’re thinking ‘Nobody’s gonna watch, read, listen.’ Finish it anyway,” it read.
“There were so many times in the early 90s when I needed somebody to say this to me,” Rowling wrote in response. “It’s great advice for many reasons.”
The author then offered up some tips of her own for creatives feeling discouraged by their progress (or lack thereof).
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive