April lives at Animal Adventure Park in Harpursville, New York. April will have plenty of company in her delivery room as staff and a doctor are onsite, the zoo said when April was initially believed to give birth in March.
The newest addition to April’s family, which according to a local Fox affiliate already includes three calves, will be a welcome one. Giraffes are categorized as “vulnerable to extinction” on the IUCN Red List, and their number has decreased by about 40% in the last three decades, according to April’s website.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve