At long last, 20-year-old New Zealand singer-songwriter Lorde of “Royals” fame has released her new single, the first in three years. It’s called “Green Light,” and she’s been teasing it over the past week with a series of mysterious short videos and installations in her hometown of Auckland.
“I am so proud of this song. It’s very different, and kinda unexpected. It’s complex and funny and sad and joyous and it’ll make you DANCE,” she wrote in a tweet in the lead-up to its release. “It’s the first chapter of a story I’m gonna tell you, the story of the last two wild, fluorescent years of my life,” she continued. Listen to “Green Light” and watch the brand-new video, above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement