The shocking end to the Oscars elicited a range of emotions—from confusion to celebration—within seconds. Moonlight took home the award for Best Picture, even though La La Land was mistakenly announced as the winner. Pictures of those onstage reacting to the flub encompassed how many viewers at home felt after producer Jordan Horowitz broke the news that Moonlight was the real winner.
It began with Warren Beatty’s confusion. The actor, who was presenting the award for Best Picture along with his Bonnie and Clyde co-star Faye Dunaway, opened the red envelope that was supposed to say Moonlight only to see that it said Emma Stone, who had just won Best Actress for her role in La La Land. He paused, confused, and Dunaway read out the incorrect name.
Once the news broke, La La Land director Damien Chazelle was captured looking shocked.
Like everyone watching in the audience and at home, Emma Stone exclaimed, “Oh my God,” upon realizing what had happened.
Ryan Gosling appeared to find the whole thing pretty funny—perhaps like many moviegoers who hoped Moonlight would win in the first place.
Finally, the surprise and joy of Moonlight‘s cast and crew captured the surprising twist of the way the Oscars unfolded.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022