“I can’t possibly accept this award,” she said tearfully as Beyoncé looked on, visibly touched. “The Lemonade album was just so monumental, Beyoncé. It was so monumental and well thought-out and beautiful and soul-bearing. We appreciate that. All of us artists here adore you. You are our light.”
But that wasn’t all. Before Adele nabbed awards in three categories that the Lemonade singer was also nominated in, she hit the red carpet in a green dress with a striking blink-and-you-miss it Beyoncé touch.
The detail spotters of the internet noticed Adele’s sparkly bright yellow lemon pin in the upper right-hand corner of her dress. The fruit pin was a likely nod to Beyoncé’s high-impact 2016 album, and not because Adele takes a squeeze of lemon in her tea.
It wasn’t as obvious as her George Michael-style cross earrings, but the symbol confirms that Adele keeps her faith in Beyoncé close to her heart, regardless of who wins.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms