President Barack Obama on Wednesday pardoned turkeys Tater and Tot, delivering a series of fowl-themed jokes during his final presidential pardon ceremony.
“For the past seven years, I’ve established another tradition, embarrassing my daughters with a corny-copia of dad jokes about turkeys,” said Obama, who brought his two nephews with him this year.
Even without Sasha and Malia, who “just couldn’t take my jokes anymore,” Obama kept up the tradition of Thanksgiving puns. “Look, I know there’s some bad ones in here, but this is the last time I’m doing this, so we’re not leaving any room for leftovers,” he said.
Read his full remarks here:
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief