Dubbed the world’s spiciest, the chip is seasoned with Carolina Reaper pepper — the Guinness Book of World Records holder for hottest chili pepper — and is sold individually in a coffin-shaped box. “The Paqui Carolina Reaper chip delivers such a gripping tidal wave of heat that people can only handle one chip,” a Paqui spokesman told TIME.
Seemingly tame at first bite, the burn gradually builds to a crescendo that had TIME’s taste tasters racing to gulp down as many glasses of water as possible. But if you still want to experience the chip for yourself, it will be available for a limited time at Paqui.com starting in late September and at select stores nationwide starting Oct. 1 for $4.99.
- Zero-COVID Protests in China Have Rattled Global Markets
- Column: Diversity Initiatives Are Failing the U.S. Muslim Community
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022