Looking to sample a food that has the ability to make you unwillingly weep in public? Then Paqui’s new limited-edition Carolina Reaper tortilla chip should be your next snack choice.
Dubbed the world’s spiciest, the chip is seasoned with Carolina Reaper pepper — the Guinness Book of World Records holder for hottest chili pepper — and is sold individually in a coffin-shaped box. “The Paqui Carolina Reaper chip delivers such a gripping tidal wave of heat that people can only handle one chip,” a Paqui spokesman told TIME.
Seemingly tame at first bite, the burn gradually builds to a crescendo that had TIME’s taste tasters racing to gulp down as many glasses of water as possible. But if you still want to experience the chip for yourself, it will be available for a limited time at Paqui.com starting in late September and at select stores nationwide starting Oct. 1 for $4.99.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief