Dubbed the world’s spiciest, the chip is seasoned with Carolina Reaper pepper — the Guinness Book of World Records holder for hottest chili pepper — and is sold individually in a coffin-shaped box. “The Paqui Carolina Reaper chip delivers such a gripping tidal wave of heat that people can only handle one chip,” a Paqui spokesman told TIME.
Seemingly tame at first bite, the burn gradually builds to a crescendo that had TIME’s taste tasters racing to gulp down as many glasses of water as possible. But if you still want to experience the chip for yourself, it will be available for a limited time at Paqui.com starting in late September and at select stores nationwide starting Oct. 1 for $4.99.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve