Dubbed the world’s spiciest, the chip is seasoned with Carolina Reaper pepper — the Guinness Book of World Records holder for hottest chili pepper — and is sold individually in a coffin-shaped box. “The Paqui Carolina Reaper chip delivers such a gripping tidal wave of heat that people can only handle one chip,” a Paqui spokesman told TIME.
Seemingly tame at first bite, the burn gradually builds to a crescendo that had TIME’s taste tasters racing to gulp down as many glasses of water as possible. But if you still want to experience the chip for yourself, it will be available for a limited time at Paqui.com starting in late September and at select stores nationwide starting Oct. 1 for $4.99.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org