Salah Abdeslam, the last surviving suspect in the Paris attacks, remained silent during his first court session of questioning by an anti-terror judge Friday, his lawyer said.
After the quick hearing, Abdeslam’s counsel Frank Berton told the AFP, “he did not want to say anything.” French authorities had been hopeful Abdeslam would provide information about the Nov. 13 violence that killed 130 and whether there were any others involved with carrying out the attacks, according to the AFP.
Abdeslam cited his right to remain silent in court Friday morning, but “is prepared to speak at a later date” to explain himself, his lawyer said. Berton added, “We need to give him time.”
The Belgian-born suspect remained at large after the attacks until authorities arrested him during a March 18 raid in Brussels.
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction