If you really want to impress your fellow Star Wars fans at the next Comic Con, all you need to do is come up with $18.3 million.
That’s how much it would cost to make an exact replica of Darth Vader’s suit, according to the calculations of Shade Station. The site, a sunglasses purveyor, has analyzed the costs of Darth Vader’s outfit, including special features like a voice modifier, breathing apparatus, prosthetic limbs, and augmented reality filter, and, of course, the base suit, and come up with a price tag. It’s a hefty one, too: $18.3 million.
As the base suit alone would cost $12 million dollars—according to Shade Station anyway—it is supposed to mirror a NASA space suit. While there are a lot of fan theories about the extent of Darth Vader’s injuries, it’s clear that he can’t live without his armor. It was a good investment for Emperor Palpatine to make sure that Vader could continue hunting down Jedi knights for years to come.
As for making your own Vader suit, if you start saving now (perhaps by selling some of your Star Wars collectibles?) you may be able to wear a fully operational suit to the opening of the next installment of the Star Wars franchise.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate