Nope, there’s no typo in “veggan.” As you undoubtedly know, vegans (one g) are people who don’t eat any animal products at all: No meat, fish, dairy, eggs—even honey is off limits.
But veggans? They are vegans who eat eggs.
This movement within a movement appears to be gaining steam. A search for #veggan on Instagram yields more than 5,000 posts. Many are recipes, though some, as you might’ve guessed, are vegans ranting against veggans, usually in all caps.
Health.com: 12 Things You Need to Know Before Going Vegan
So what’s the story with veggans?
“As people become more interested and aware of how food affects both their health as well as the environment, plant-based diets, including veganism, are becoming more and more popular and mainstream,” Alissa Rumsey, RD, a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, told Yahoo Health. “Veganism may be appealing to people, but many find that it is too restrictive.”
So if you’re worried about getting enough protein, the veggan diet could be a better choice for you. Food writer Vicky Anne Hadley had been eating veggan for two years before she realized it was a thing. When the DailyMail quoted her in a story about the veggan trend, she explained to her Instagram followers, “I like the vegan diet but I work out a lot and want to get enough protein in my diet so I also sometimes eat eggs as I enjoy them.”
Health.com: 14 Best Vegan and Vegetarian Protein Sources
Of course, vegans argue that there are plenty of ways to eat protein without eating animal products—from chickpeas to quinoa to nut butters. But no matter how you get the essential nutrient, it’s fun to speculate about the next trendy group: #seagans?
This article originally appeared on Health.com
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now