No barbecue is complete without a killer sauce. Skip the store-bought stuff and wow your guests with something homemade. Here, five DIY flavorful and smokey barbecue sauces to try.
1. Sorghum Barbecue Sauce
Bobby Flay’s rich, sweet and tangy barbecue sauce is made with sorghum syrup, which comes from sweet sorghum grass.
2. Espresso Barbecue Sauce
Grilling experts Cheryl and Bill Jamison add espresso to this sauce to give it a deeply rich, complex flavor. It’s delicious with smoked or grilled pork, beef, lamb or duck.
4. Sweet Mustard Barbecue Sauce
This sweet and pungent mustard sauce is perfect on pork chops.
5. Hoisin Barbecue Sauce
Like ketchup in a classic barbecue sauce, the Chinese condiment, hoisin, provides a satisfying contrast of sweet, salty and aromatic flavors.
More from Food & Wine:
- 7 Extra-Saucy BBQ Chicken Recipes
- 5 Essential Barbecue Ingredients from Grill Expert David Guas
- 25 Backyard Barbecue Essentials
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time