A tattoo of Pokémon character Charmander that fans say looks nothing like the character has been going viral on Reddit, inspiring memes and earning the nickname “S****y Charmander.”
— The Independent (@Independent) April 17, 2015
Redditor Yllwsnow2 uploaded the image on April 14 with the caption “My friend was drunk and on Xanax when he decided to tattoo a black face Charmander with no experience or artistic ability. The flame saves it.” The picture racked up nearly 2.5 million views over the next two days, according to a timeline by KnowYourMeme, an online encyclopedia about memes and trending topics.
The illustration now has its own subreddit “/r/shartmander,” and the photo-sharing site Imgur has rounded up some of the best memes. The editor of Know Your Meme Brad Kim made a flow chart of merchandise inspired by the tattoo:
See more on Know Your Meme
It is the third time that something so random has captivated the Internet recently, between a debate about the color of #TheDress and a photo of a cat that looked like it was either going up or down a staircase.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow