Sriracha is a new Pringles flavor and is only available at Walmart, Kellogg has confirmed to TIME. The product started shipping at the end of February.
The market has already been peppered with sriracha-flavored vodka and candy canes, and even inspired a new kind of Lay’s chip and Subway sandwich. In December, food safety regulations prompted fears of a shortage, making the condiment even more of an “IT” ingredient, as TIME wrote in January. The article also noted that changing demographics and consumer tastes have been more receptive to spicy flavors over the last few years:
Indeed, as Quartz reported in Oct. 2013, hot sauce is one of the top 10 fastest growing industries in the U.S., boasting more than $1 billion in global sales.
Perhaps another reason sriracha has become so desirable is because it literally makes its fans happier. From a scientific standpoint, the satisfying, irresistible taste has to do with a molecule in the red chilies called capsaicin, according to the American Chemical Society: “The body responds to capsaicin’s burn by releasing a pain-killing endorphin rush, kind of like the one a jogger feels after a long run.” But will sriracha Pringles make consumers this happy, too?
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Beyoncé Gave Us
- Congress Avoided a Shutdown. What Happens Next?
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time