TIME Television

Game of Thrones Casts Ian McShane in Season 6

The former Deadwood star will have a small but key role

Emmy-winning British actor Ian McShane is joining the cast of Game of Thrones in season 6.

The former Deadwood star’s role is still mysterious. It will be a small role, but it will still be important, Entertainment Weekly reports.

New episodes of Game of Thrones are set to air in the spring. HBO recently said the show would last at least eight seasons, though the showrunners have said they only want to make seven.

Read more at Entertainment Weekly

Read Next: HBO Exec Says Jon Snow Is Dead, Dead, Dead

TIME Zimbabwe

Conflicting Reports Over Cecil the Lion’s Brother Jericho

Jericho had been caring for his brother Cecil's cubs

Conflicting reports emerged on Saturday over the status of Cecil the lion’s brother Jericho, just as Zimbabwe suspended the hunting of lions, leopards and elephants in the area outside where Cecil was killed.

The Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force reported Jericho’s death on its Facebook page, telling media outlets that the lion had been killed by hunters. But Reuters subsequently reported that researchers monitoring Jericho with a GPS tag said he was alive.

The Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force did not immediately respond to TIME’s request for comment.

Also on Saturday, the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management authority suspended hunting of big game outside Hwange National Park, according to the Associated Press. Bow and arrow hunts have also been suspended.

“Hunting of lions, leopards and elephants outside of Hwange National Park has been suspended with immediate effect,” Zimbabwe’s wildlife authority said in a statement.

The decision comes after the killing Cecil the lion, a 13-year-old with a black mane beloved by tourists. Cecil’s movements were being tracked by Oxford University’s Wildlife Conservation Unit. Minnesota dentist Walter Palmer is believed to have killed Cecil on July 1 with a bow and arrow after luring him out of the Hwange National Park, according to the AP. Two Zimbabweans who guided Mr. Palmer have already been arrested in connection with the hunt, and Zimbabwean officials are calling for the extradition of Palmer. The punishment for illegal hunting is several thousand dollars and up to 15 years in prison.

On Saturday, Zimbabwe’s wildlife authority also announced that it is investigating another possible illegal killing of a different lion in April.

Read Next: Cecil the Lion’s Killer Contacts Federal Authorities

 

TIME Music

Watch Bruce Springsteen Rock U2 Concert With Surprise Performance

He joined Bono on stage for a rendition of “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For"

Taylor Swift isn’t the only one crushing it with surprise celebrity guests. After rumors began circulating that Bruce Springsteen would join U2 on stage during the band’s final performance at New York’s Madison Square Garden, “The Boss” surprised the crowd with an acoustic guitar in hand.

Video from inside the venue shows the iconic musician as he joined Bono on stage for a rendition of “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.” The two traded lines just as they did back in 2005 during U2’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame introduction, followed by a rendition of “Stand By Me.”

Despite the chatter, fans weren’t assured going into this concert that Springsteen would actually show up — though Bono did leave a few clues along the way, according to Rolling Stone. He sang six seconds of “Hungry Heart,” one of Springsteen’s more famous tunes that he originally wrote for The Ramones. By the end of “Where the Streets Have No Name,” an additional mic stand was in place and everyone knew what it meant.

“Earlier, when I busted myself up here in the city, we had a gig in Times Square for Red and this man showed up and delivered,” Bono said. “The chairman, the Boss. Mr. Bruce Springsteen.”

It seems like Swift has been dominating headlines with her special guests, including Nick Jonas, Lorde and Jason Derulo, but U2 has also been bringing famous friends on stage at shows. Springsteen joins the likes of Lady Gaga, Jimmy Fallon and the Roots, and Paul Simon, all of whom recently guested with the band during its tour.

This article originally appeared on EW.com

TIME Crime

Trooper Who Arrested Sandra Bland Was Previously Warned About ‘Unprofessional Conduct’

His personnel file was just released

(DALLAS) — The Texas trooper who arrested Sandra Bland after a confrontation that began with a traffic stop was once cautioned about “unprofessional conduct” in a 2014 incident while he was still a probationary trooper, according to his personnel file.

Bland, a 28-year-old Chicago-area woman, was found dead in her Waller County jail cell in Hempstead, about 200 miles south of Dallas, on July 13, three days after her arrest. Officials say she used a plastic bag to hang herself, a finding her family has questioned. Bland’s family and others also have criticized Trooper Brian Encinia, who stopped Bland for failing to signal a lane change.

The Associated Press obtained Encinia’s personnel file Friday from the Texas Department of Public Safety through a Freedom of Information Act request. Encinia had been with the department for a little over a year. For the most part, his file was unremarkable. He received “competent” ratings in all of the evaluations that were released.

However, in an evaluation that covered September and October 2014, his supervisor noted that Encinia “was given a written counseling for unprofessional conduct … for an incident occurring while at a school in Austin.” The documents provided no additional details and a Department of Public Safety official did not return a phone call seeking comment Friday night.

The evaluation goes on to say, “In the future, Trooper Encinia should conduct himself at all times in a manner that will reflect well upon himself, the Department, and the State of Texas. This supervisor will ensure that this is done by meeting periodically with Trooper Encinia.”

Under the category of “Stress Tolerance” in the same evaluation, his supervisor remarked that Encinia “performed effectively and rationally while involved in a pursuit resulting in a firearms discharge during the reporting period.” The document did not provide additional details about that incident.

The documents also did not include any information about Encinia’s interaction with Bland. That is still under investigation, though the director of the Department of Public Safety, Steve McCraw, has said Encinia violated internal policies of professionalism and courtesy.

Dashcam video shows the confrontation between Bland and Encinia swiftly escalated after she objected to being told to put out her cigarette. Encinia at one point is seen holding a stun gun as he says, “I will light you up!” after Bland refuses to get out of her car. Bland, who was black, eventually was arrested for allegedly assaulting the white trooper.

Bland’s death came after nearly a year of heightened national scrutiny of police and their dealings with black suspects, especially those who have been killed by officers or die in police custody.

According to his personnel file, Encinia was selected for the Trooper Trainee Academy in December 2013, joined the Department of Public Safety in June 2014 as a probationary trooper and completed his probation in June 2015, becoming a Highway Patrol trooper.

Encinia’s most recent performance evaluation was for November and December 2014. Among the remarks were that Encinia “appears to operate effectively under stress,” ”continues to use good problem solving skills and judgment while working patrol” and “appears to treat others in a respectful manner.”

Before applying for trooper training, Encinia was a volunteer firefighter in Brenham, where he was a supervisor at Blue Bell Creameries. Brenham Fire Chief Ricky Boeker remembered Encinia as a “stand-up kind of guy” popular with the people he worked with.

Encinia, a 2008 graduate of Texas A&M University, was elected as a district chief, Boeker said.

“He was a smart individual, very detail-oriented and he was just well liked by all of our members,” he said.

TIME remembrance

Family Tension Erupts at Bobbi Kristina Brown Funeral

She was 22 years old

(ALPHARETTA, Ga.) — The ongoing tensions between the families of the late megastar Whitney Houston and her ex-husband, R&B singer Bobby Brown, erupted Saturday during a memorial service for their daughter, Bobbi Kristina.

Bobbi Kristina, who dreamed of growing up to achieve fame like her mother, died in hospice care July 26, about six months after she was found face-down and unresponsive in a bathtub in her suburban Atlanta townhome.

A longstanding rift between families of the young woman’s famous mother and father broke out into the open at a memorial service being held for Bobbi Kristina at the St. James United Methodist Church in Alpharetta.

Leolah Brown, the sister of Bobby Brown, walked out of the church and spoke to reporters gathered outside. She said she was angry because Pat Houston was speaking at the funeral. Pat Houston is the sister-in-law and former manager for the late Whitney Houston.

“I told her that Whitney is going to haunt her from the grave,” Leolah Brown told reporters outside the church.

She suggested that the feud between the Houstons and the Browns was far from over.

“It’s just getting started,” she said.

Bobbi Kristina’s death was grimly similar to the way her megastar mother had died three years earlier.

Bobbi Kristina was found in the townhome she shared with Nick Gordon, an orphan three years older, whom Houston had raised as her own. Bobbi Kristina referred to him as her husband. A police report earlier this year described the incident as a drowning, and authorities are investigating her death.

Bobbi Kristina Brown was the only child of Houston and Brown and was raised in the shadow of her famous parents’ hugely public life.

She appeared alongside the couple in 2005 on the Bravo reality show “Being Bobby Brown,” which showed her parents fighting, swearing and making court appearances. She attended award shows with her mother and father, walked red carpets with them and sang in Central Park with Houston as adoring fans watched.

Bobbi Kristina was the sole heir of her mother’s estate. She identified herself on Twitter as “Daughter of Queen WH,” ”Entertainer/Actress” with William Morris & Co., and “LAST of a dying breed.”

She told Oprah Winfrey shortly after her mother’s death in 2012 that she wanted to carry on Houston’s legacy by singing, acting and dancing. But her career never took off.

TIME Bizarre

Man’s iPhone Miraculously Still Works After Falling From a Plane Over Texas

He found it under a mesquite tree

A Texas man used an app to find his iPhone in a rural pasture after it fell 9,300 ft. (2,834 m) from a Beechcraft Bonanza airplane on a flight from Houston.

The phone fell out of the aircraft during a Monday flight, when a pressure change caused the door to open slightly. The owner of the phone, Ben Wilson, a Texas businessman, used the Find My iPhone app to locate the phone. They found it with a map and a satellite image.

“It was by the side of the road south of Jacksboro, under a mesquite tree,” Wilson told the Times Record News in Wichita Falls, Texas. “It was in one piece, scratched a bit on the corners but it still worked,” he said.

TIME society

A Police Officer Who Stopped to Fix a Boy’s Bike Is Going Viral

"It's so small to me, I was just helping a kid out, but it's big to everybody else"

Connecticut police officer Michael Castillo’s small gesture to “serve and protect” his community has gone viral on social media.

The 27-year-old officer received a call about a fight happening outside a Target in Ansonia, Connecticut, on Monday, but when he arrived, he saw a group of young neighborhood kids just hanging out, he told ABC News.

Castillo, who has been an officer for three years, then noticed that one of the boy’s bikes was broken, so he grabbed some tools out of his SUV cruiser and set to work, fixing the bike chain and tightening up the tire.

“I told them, ‘All right, guys, go play somewhere else besides the Target parking lot,’ ” Castillo told the news outlet. “They’re good kids.”

Little did he know that Faith Taylor, a passerby, had snapped a photo of the sweet moment and posted it to the Ansonia Police Department Facebook Page.

“…it’s nice to see an officer in a good and kind way… Give this guy some kudos!” she wrote.

The photo has received almost 1,000 likes and over 300 shares since it was posted on Monday.

“It feels great. It really does,” Castillo told News 8. “There is so much negativity in police work everywhere, just to get this one thing, it’s so small to me, I was just helping a kid out, but it’s big to everybody else. I think this shows a positive outlook on police work.”

This article originally appeared on People.com

TIME Crime

Cecil the Lion’s Killer Contacts Federal Authorities

The dentist, Dr. Walter Palmer, has not been charged with a crime

The American dentist who killed a lion that was lured out of a national park in Zimbabwe has contacted U.S. federal wildlife authorities.

On Friday, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement said they had been voluntarily contacted by a representative of the Minnesota dentist. Before he reached out to the service on Thursday, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Director Dan Ashe urged him to contact authorities over Twitter.

Authorities in Zimbabwe are calling for the extradition of the dentist, Dr. Walter Palmer, who killed a lion named Cecil that was beloved in Zimbabwe on July 1. Palmer’s guides face fines and jail time. The penalty for poaching in Zimbabwe is a $20,000 fine and imprisonment for up to 10 years, according to NBC News. Palmer has not been charged with a crime.

On Friday, U.S. State Department officials told the Associated Press that, as far as the department knows, the U.S. has not extradited anyone to Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe has not extradited anyone in the U.S. since the extradition treaty took effect in 2000.

Palmer has been the subject of public outcry over the past several days, as angry comments have flooded the Yelp page of his dental practice.

TIME myanmar

Angelina Jolie Visits Female Factory Workers in Myanmar

She is on a four-day visit to the Southeast Asian nation

(YANGON, Myanmar)—Angelina Jolie has joined Myanmar’s opposition leader and democracy icon, Aung San Suu Kyi, in sitting down with female workers to learn more about their dire conditions.

Jolie, who is a special envoy for the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, is on a four-day visit to the Southeast Asian nation.

Angelina Jolie myanmar refugee camp
Hkun Lat—APActress Angelina Jolie Pitt, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees special envoy and co-founder of the Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative walks with her son Pax as they visit Jan Mai Kaung refugee camp in Myitkyina, Kachin State, Myanmar on July 30, 2015.

During her meeting with the factory workers on the outskirts of an industrial zone in Myanmar’s largest city, Yangon, Jolie and Suu Kyi witnessed first-hand the conditions the women live in, mostly low-cost hostels. Jolie also toured inside the factory.

She traveled to Kachin state earlier this week, home to more than 10,000 displaced people since a cease-fire between Myanmar’s government and ethnic rebels has broken down in 2011.

According to her trip details, it is unlikely that Jolie will be able to travel to western Rakhine State, where more than 100,000 Muslim minority Rohingya live in apartheid-like conditons in camps.

It is Jolie’s first visit to Myanmar, which only recently emerged from decades of military rule. More than a dozen ethnic minority groups, mostly in Myanmar’s border areas, have been fighting for greater autonomy since the country attained independence from Britain 67 years ago.

Recently, the world attention has turned to the plight of stateless Rohingya Muslims who have been trafficked from Myanmar and Bangladesh aboard overcrowded boats. Dozens of graves as well as pens likely used as cages for Rohingya have been found in abandoned jungle camps on both sides of the Thailand-Malaysian border.

TIME France

Possible Malaysia Airlines Plane Debris Arrives in France

French authorities have imposed extraordinary secrecy over the wing piece

(BALMA, France)—A wing flap suspected to be from the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 on Saturday arrived at a French military testing facility where it will be analyzed by experts.

After a 10-hour journey by road from Paris’ Orly airport, a truck carrying the roughly 8-foot (2.44-meter) component known as a flaperon arrived at the DGA TA aeronautical testing site near Toulouse, accompanied by police motorcycles and a police car.

French aviation experts will try to establish whether the wreckage that was found on the Indian Ocean island Reunion comes from the Boeing 777 which disappeared on March 8, 2014, while en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board.

The experts, including a legal expert, will start their inquiry on Wednesday, according to the Paris prosecutor’s office. On Monday, an investigating judge will meet with Malaysian authorities and representatives of the French aviation investigative agency, known as the BEA, according to a statement late Friday.

Air safety investigators, including one from Boeing, have identified the component as a flaperon from the trailing edge of a Boeing 777 wing, a U.S. official said. The official wasn’t authorized to be publicly identified.

Flight 370 is the only missing 777 and many are convinced the flap comes from the ill-fated jet.

“In the aeronautic community there is no (doubt) on the issue of what the debris belongs to. We are all convinced that it belongs to this flight (370),” said aviation security expert Christophe Naudin on France’s BFM-TV.

He said only three 777s have crashed since 2013 and the other two were in completely different locations.

“One is in the United States, one in Ukraine, and this one in the Indian Ocean,” he said.

Under a microscope and expert eyes, the wing fragment that washed up on the beach of the volcanic island could yield clues not just to its path through the Indian Ocean, but also to what happened to the airplane.

Analysts at the French aviation laboratory hope to glean details from metal stress to see what caused the flap to break off, spot explosive or other chemical traces, and study the sea life that made its home on the wing to pinpoint where it came from.

Even if the piece is confirmed to be wreckage from Flight 370, there’s no guarantee that investigators can find the plane’s vital black box recorders or other debris. A multinational search effort has so far come up empty.

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser at http://update.microsoft.com