1. Slavery’s long shadow is inextricably linked to modern income inequality in the south.
By Stephen Mihm in the Boston Globe
2. Superdistricts in the House of Representatives could end the tyranny of incumbency in Congress.
By Katrina vanden Heuvel in the Washington Post
3. Yelp the Police: Georgia teens build an app to rate law enforcement interactions.
By Rebecca Borison in Business Insider
4. The new Egyptian government’s policies of repression and exclusion could push citizens into the arms of extremist groups.
By Michele Dunn and Scott Williamson at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
5. Transforming oil and gas rigs into artificial reefs could save the delicate ecosystems formed around the structures.
By Amber Jackson in Huffington Post
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.