- House grants Boehner the authority to sue Obama [TIME]
- Meanwhile in Kansas City … : “We could do so much more if Congress would just come on and help out a little bit,” Obama said. “Stop being mad all the time. Stop just hating all the time. Let’s get some work done together.” [Politico]
- “Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, facing international alarm over a rising civilian death toll in Gaza, said on Thursday he would not accept any ceasefire that stopped Israel completing the destruction of militants’ infiltration tunnel” [Reuters]
- Argentina default imminent as talks collapse [WSJ]
- Third Party candidates could disrupt 2014 Midterms [TIME]
- U.S. Attorney warms Cuomo on ethics case [NYT]
- General to question Bergdahl about disappearance [USA Today]
- GOP: Lerner emails show bias against conservatives [AP]
- ICYMI: “Lois Lerner, the former Internal Revenue Service official at the center of a scandal involving that agency’s targeting of conservative groups, called Republicans “crazies” and “assholes,” according to emails released Wednesday.” [TIME]
- GAO report details flaws behind $840 million Obamacare website rollout [The Hill]
- Can the GOP take the Senate? [The New Yorker]
- The parallel failures of Obama’s and Bush’s foreign policy doctrines [National Journal]
What’s Prettier in Print:
- COVER: Manopause?! Aging, Insecurity and the $2 Billion Testosterone Industry by David Von Drehle
- Why Big Mergers Are Bad for Consumers by Rana Foroohar
When big companies merge, it’s good for the bankers—but not so good for the rest of us
- Begging for Impeachment by Joe Klein
- How Kentucky Got Obamacare Right by Steven Brill
- Honduras’s Desperate Voyagers by Ioan Grillo
- Cracking The Girl Code by Eliana Docterman
- Big Data Tries to Shrink the Prison Population by Massimo Calabresi
We will hold an #AskTIME subscriber Q&A this Friday, August 1, at 1 p.m., with TIME foreign correspondent Simon Shuster, who has been covering the conflict in Ukraine. You can read his work here, his recent feature about being arrested by Ukrainian separatists here and his cover story on Russian President Vladimir Putin here.
You can submit your questions beforehand on Twitter using the #AskTIME hashtag or in the comments of this post. We depend on smart, interesting questions from readers.
You will need to be a TIME subscriber to read the Q&A. ($30 a year or 8 cents a day for the magazine and all digital content.) Once you’re signed up, you can log in to the site with a username and password.