Google Begins Scrubbing Search Results in Europe

Jun 26, 2014

Google has begun removing results from some searches in accordance with Europe’s landmark “right to be forgotten” ruling, the company told the Wall Street Journal on Thursday.

The European Union's top court ruled in May that individuals had the right to request search engines remove certain results when their names are searched.

More than 41,000 requests were submitted to Google in the first four days after the ruling. Google said it would send out the first emails informing individuals that their requested links had been removed on Thursday.

“This is a new process for us. Each request has to be assessed individually, and we're working as quickly as possible to get through the queue,” a Google spokesman told the Journal.

[WSJ]

All products and services featured are based solely on editorial selection. TIME may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website.