Low earth orbit is a mess, with a belt of debris presenting a risk of collision with spacecraft. Tokyo-based Astroscale is developing technology to collect the junk and send it on an incineration plunge through the atmosphere. Last year, the company launched a two-part satellite that separated and reconnected by magnets, demonstrating a debris-gathering technique. The company wants future satellites to carry magnetic docking ports to allow for collection. Astroscale’s vision, says CEO Nobu Okada, is “to make space sustainable.
A weekly newsletter featuring conversations with the world’s top CEOs, managers, and founders. Join the Leadership Brief.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time