James Cameron is one of the most celebrated and commercially successful filmmakers of all time. Most recently, his Avatar films featuring prominent themes about the dangers of irresponsible resource extraction and environmental damage have smashed international viewership and revenue records. “He wants to focus on how to save a planet, not destroy one,” described a TIME interview with Cameron about the series. But his environmentalism goes beyond the screen: Avatar 2 was powered entirely by solar electricity and served exclusively plant-based food on set. This has set a new standard for what is possible in sustainable film and television production in Hollywood, and in the broader industry.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time