As nuclear power gains recognition as a linchpin of the clean energy transition, companies joining the industry look to the example Wen Shugang set. Wen is Chairman of China Huaneng Group, a large electric power utility that is operating the first working small modular nuclear reactor (SMR) in the world. SMRs offer a safer and cheaper alternative to traditional nuclear reactors, but have faced regulatory hurdles in many countries. Other companies, such as Westinghouse, have developed promising SMRs, but Huaneng was first, and is proving that the model works.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time