Frans Timmermans, a Dutch politician, was the European Commission’s Executive Vice President for the European Green Deal from 2019 to 2023, which he helped design and pass. In this role he also shaped Europe’s commitments to an accelerated phase-out of fossil fuels, a carbon border adjustment tax, the E.U. Nature Restoration Law, and its Biodiversity Strategy. In July 2023, he announced he will run for prime minister of the Netherlands in the next election, in part to elevate climate in the Netherlands’ national agenda.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time