As gymnast Simone Biles prepares to compete in her first Olympics in Rio, the American team that won the sport’s gold medal 20 years ago is rallying behind her.
The Magnificent Seven—the members of the 1996 U.S. women’s gymnastics team—recently spoke to TIME about Biles’ potential, with one noting that “there has never been anyone more heavily favored for the Olympic games’ all-around title.”
Jaycie Phelps, who has known Biles since she was a child, spoke about how the 19-year-old’s talent has always been apparent. “You can tell in a gymnast when they’ve got something,” Phelps said. “When I was coaching, I knew her as a younger gymnast and she always had this incredible talent. Everybody looked at her and said that kid’s going to do something big some day.”
Watch the video above for more.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time