Extreme weather and natural disasters have made power outages a real threat to millions. While backup diesel generators run on fossil fuels, Sesame Solar is decarbonizing offgrid power with its mobile Nanogrids. The structures, some as large as a shipping container, have rooftop solar panels that can generate power in as little as 15 minutes. If it’s cloudy, mobile green hydrogen power kicks in, offering a “continuous energy loop,” says Sesame Solar CEO Lauren Flanagan. There currently are 55 Nanogrids deployed across the U.S., including one the Air Force uses as a mobile medical clinic. Four are soon bound for war-torn Ukraine.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time