Dr. Zhong Nanshan, an experienced epidemiologist and physician, has been leading China’s National Health Commission’s expert panel for investigating the COVID-19 outbreak in the country. He has become the public face of China’s efforts to halt the spread.
After visiting Wuhan, Dr. Zhong spoke out frankly about human-to-human transmission, and suggested evidence-based prevention and control measures to contain the disease. As a trusted doctor, he is very effective in calming public fear and anxiety with facts, and promoting community support for public-health measures.
Dr. Zhong has earned recognition for his dedication, integrity, academic and professional achievements, and for sharing China’s successful control efforts and treatment plan with the international community.
On Sept. 8, President Xi Jinping awarded Dr. Zhong a Medal of the Republic, the highest state honor, for his great contribution to China’s fight against the epidemic.
Chan is a former director-general of the World Health Organization and the inaugural dean of the Vanke School of Public Health at Tsinghua University in China
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022