In the midst of the financial crisis, anger at bankers (who helped create the crisis) was at an all-time high. Former Secretary Treasurer Timothy Geithner explains why the government had no choice but to bail out big financial institutions.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving