Neighbors surprised industry experts this weekend by scooping up $51.1 million and taking the top spot at the box office.
The comedy, starring Seth Rogen and Zac Efron, was not only expected to lose out to The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but industry analysts predicted the film would only make around $35 million in its debut weekend, USA Today reports. The Spidey sequel came in second with an estimated $37.2 million on the weekend.
“Neighbors continues a frat house comedy legacy that Universal introduced with National Lampoon’s Animal House,” said Paul Dergarabedian of Rentrak, a firm that analyzes the entertainment industry and provided Sunday’s preliminary estimates. “R-rated comedy is a powerful draw.”
Don’t forget the adorable babies, too.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Nolan Feeney at firstname.lastname@example.org