Neighbors surprised industry experts this weekend by scooping up $51.1 million and taking the top spot at the box office.
The comedy, starring Seth Rogen and Zac Efron, was not only expected to lose out to The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but industry analysts predicted the film would only make around $35 million in its debut weekend, USA Today reports. The Spidey sequel came in second with an estimated $37.2 million on the weekend.
“Neighbors continues a frat house comedy legacy that Universal introduced with National Lampoon’s Animal House,” said Paul Dergarabedian of Rentrak, a firm that analyzes the entertainment industry and provided Sunday’s preliminary estimates. “R-rated comedy is a powerful draw.”
Don’t forget the adorable babies, too.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer