A senior engineer behind Nokia’s Pureview camera, a 41-megapixel behemoth that took smartphone imagery to new heights of crispness, has confirmed that he will be moving to Apple.
In a farewell tweet to the Nokia team, Ari Partinen wrote that he would “start a new chapter in Cupertino, California.” The move comes at a time of upheaval for Nokia as it completes a merger with Microsoft’s new mobile unit.
Nokia called Partinen its resident “camera expert” during a fashion photo shoot with one of his pixel-packing creations. Apple’s iPhone 5 currently packs a respectable 8 megapixel punch, a relative featherweight compared with Nokia’s Lumia 1020 smartphone.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement