Emotions are flying high ahead of Saturday’s final in the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest as the crisis in Ukraine is casting a political shadow over the competition.
Eurovision is one of the most-watched non-sports events in the world. This year, 37 countries are participating. They’re mostly European countries, but others, such as Israel, get to perform too.
TIME took a stroll down memory to find some of the best – and the worst – songs of Eurovision.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve