Emotions are flying high ahead of Saturday’s final in the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest as the crisis in Ukraine is casting a political shadow over the competition.
Eurovision is one of the most-watched non-sports events in the world. This year, 37 countries are participating. They’re mostly European countries, but others, such as Israel, get to perform too.
TIME took a stroll down memory to find some of the best – and the worst – songs of Eurovision.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Francesca Trianni at email@example.com