Emotions are flying high ahead of Saturday’s final in the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest as the crisis in Ukraine is casting a political shadow over the competition.
Eurovision is one of the most-watched non-sports events in the world. This year, 37 countries are participating. They’re mostly European countries, but others, such as Israel, get to perform too.
TIME took a stroll down memory to find some of the best – and the worst – songs of Eurovision.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization