Most parents go to great lengths to keep their babies from crying, but at Japan’s Naki Sumo festival, the point is to actually make your kid sob.
In this video, sumo wrestlers make loud noises and faces at babies to get them to start crying. The baby who cries the loudest and for the longest amount of time is deemed the winner, though the real winners are the baby’s parents, who probably haven’t gotten a good night’s sleep in months.
As NBC News writes, “some believe that children’s wailing wards off evil spirits.” Though their tear-stained faces might make you a little sad, the 400-year-old festival is meant to bring the babies good health.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time