On today’s Morning Joe, co-host Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman delivered a powerful tirade about women, the media and slut shaming. Scarborough spoke out about the press’ treatment of Monica Lewinsky in the wake of her recent Vanity Fair tell-all about her infamous affair with former President Bill Clinton.
Scarborough condemned the power dynamic between young women and powerful men, saying that women who claim they are for women’s rights had no problem blaming Monica Lewinsky who was 22 at the time of the affair. He had particular ire for female columnists like the New York Post’s Andrea Peyser who he says are piling on Monica Lewinsky today. “For anyone who has a daughter that has anything to do with these attacks on Monica Lewinsky,” he said, “ask yourself what you would do if your daughter lived in shame and was a punch line for 18 years?”
Read more of TIME’s coverage of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time