On today’s Morning Joe, co-host Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman delivered a powerful tirade about women, the media and slut shaming. Scarborough spoke out about the press’ treatment of Monica Lewinsky in the wake of her recent Vanity Fair tell-all about her infamous affair with former President Bill Clinton.
Scarborough condemned the power dynamic between young women and powerful men, saying that women who claim they are for women’s rights had no problem blaming Monica Lewinsky who was 22 at the time of the affair. He had particular ire for female columnists like the New York Post’s Andrea Peyser who he says are piling on Monica Lewinsky today. “For anyone who has a daughter that has anything to do with these attacks on Monica Lewinsky,” he said, “ask yourself what you would do if your daughter lived in shame and was a punch line for 18 years?”
Read more of TIME’s coverage of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization