On today’s Morning Joe, co-host Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman delivered a powerful tirade about women, the media and slut shaming. Scarborough spoke out about the press’ treatment of Monica Lewinsky in the wake of her recent Vanity Fair tell-all about her infamous affair with former President Bill Clinton.
Scarborough condemned the power dynamic between young women and powerful men, saying that women who claim they are for women’s rights had no problem blaming Monica Lewinsky who was 22 at the time of the affair. He had particular ire for female columnists like the New York Post’s Andrea Peyser who he says are piling on Monica Lewinsky today. “For anyone who has a daughter that has anything to do with these attacks on Monica Lewinsky,” he said, “ask yourself what you would do if your daughter lived in shame and was a punch line for 18 years?”
Read more of TIME’s coverage of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This