On today’s Morning Joe, co-host Joe Scarborough, a former Republican congressman delivered a powerful tirade about women, the media and slut shaming. Scarborough spoke out about the press’ treatment of Monica Lewinsky in the wake of her recent Vanity Fair tell-all about her infamous affair with former President Bill Clinton.
Scarborough condemned the power dynamic between young women and powerful men, saying that women who claim they are for women’s rights had no problem blaming Monica Lewinsky who was 22 at the time of the affair. He had particular ire for female columnists like the New York Post’s Andrea Peyser who he says are piling on Monica Lewinsky today. “For anyone who has a daughter that has anything to do with these attacks on Monica Lewinsky,” he said, “ask yourself what you would do if your daughter lived in shame and was a punch line for 18 years?”
Read more of TIME’s coverage of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- What to Know About the History of the Debt Ceiling
- 10 Questions the Succession Finale Needs to Answer
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Why Rich People Aren't Using Phone Cases