Nobody goes to a Britney Spears concert to be blown away by the dulcet quality of her live vocals — but even so, it doesn’t seem unreasonable to expect the pop superstar to mouth along to her own backing track.
And yet, viewers who flocked to Spears’ Las Vegas residency Piece of Me on Tuesday night were treated to a rare flub from the consummate performer, as she failed to sing into the microphone during a rendition of her Britney Jean song “Alien” — and the vocal track kept right on playing. Fortunately, all her fans know that she isn’t singing live in the first place, so it’s not exactly disillusioning — and in fairness, she was probably just too busy being iconic to be bothered.
Watch a fan video of the technical hiccup below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief