Nobody goes to a Britney Spears concert to be blown away by the dulcet quality of her live vocals — but even so, it doesn’t seem unreasonable to expect the pop superstar to mouth along to her own backing track.
And yet, viewers who flocked to Spears’ Las Vegas residency Piece of Me on Tuesday night were treated to a rare flub from the consummate performer, as she failed to sing into the microphone during a rendition of her Britney Jean song “Alien” — and the vocal track kept right on playing. Fortunately, all her fans know that she isn’t singing live in the first place, so it’s not exactly disillusioning — and in fairness, she was probably just too busy being iconic to be bothered.
Watch a fan video of the technical hiccup below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement