Nobody goes to a Britney Spears concert to be blown away by the dulcet quality of her live vocals — but even so, it doesn’t seem unreasonable to expect the pop superstar to mouth along to her own backing track.
And yet, viewers who flocked to Spears’ Las Vegas residency Piece of Me on Tuesday night were treated to a rare flub from the consummate performer, as she failed to sing into the microphone during a rendition of her Britney Jean song “Alien” — and the vocal track kept right on playing. Fortunately, all her fans know that she isn’t singing live in the first place, so it’s not exactly disillusioning — and in fairness, she was probably just too busy being iconic to be bothered.
Watch a fan video of the technical hiccup below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space